Tuesday 21 October 2008

moar

Took me longer to re-blog than I expected. Anyway, I have lots to say.

I want to talk about games. Recently, the Tokyo Games Show has been blowing me away with trailers with amazing CG scenes. The few that stand out to me are Starcraft II, Diablo III, Bayonetta, Prince of Persia and Dead Space. I'll talk about em a bit.

Starcraft II - I'm in love with the cinematic trailer for this game. Everything is practically perfect; the model, the attention to detail, the animation, the atmosphere, drama, etc, etc, etc. I've watched this a ton of times and it still amazes me. Here it is in Standard Definition but do yourself a favour and watch in HD.



Diablo III - Another Blizzard title, and surprisingly I've never been a Blizzard fan, even their most recent games like WoW, but I'm loving their art direction right now. (Maybe this is why I don't see anything wrong with how this game looks; a lot of hardcore fans of the second in the series hate how the new game looks, due to it not being as dark as the second.) The thing that I love the most about this game at this point is the concept art. There's a huge gallery on their official website www.blizzard.com/diablo3/ and practically every piece is brillilant. There's a mix of different artists and styles too which is really interesting. Here's one of my favourites, but check them all out.



Bayonetta - Now this is a really interesting new game. It first caught my attention with it's awesome CG trailer which I absolutely loved, but the CG looked so good that when it came to showing a little of the actual gameplay I felt let down. But I went to it's official website - http://www.sega.com/platinumgames/bayonetta/EnglishUK/index2.html and it kind of restored my faith in the game. It turns out that it's created by the same guy that made the Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe series'. Two games which I love and not only that, he talks about
“Pushing 3D Action to a New Dimension”. And I know everyone says that they'll be doing things differently and breaking the mould, and even though the gameplay in the trailer looks like every other action game ever made, I still kind of have faith. I think maybe i'm just being naive, but whatever, it's exciting. Disregarding the game itself, when looked at from a purely aesthetical stand-point, the CG in the trailer is brilliance anyway. I especially love the crotch-pan :D. Here it is.



Prince of Persia: This game has looked amazing all throughout development. From the super stylish concept art:



To the most recent trailer, which I believe is completely made of in-game footage, and still looks amazing. The gameplay looks really interesting, where you basically control two characters and I love the change in direction they're taking with the series. Everything looks brilliant. Here's the trailer.



Finally; Dead Space: This game only very recently came to my attention, and it looks amazing (i've so overused that word in this post). A Survival horror game, which again, i'm not really a big fan of, but the art direction is so up my alley that I can't help but adore it. Who knows if i'll ever play it because it looks so god damned scary, (They really nailed the atmosphere, and they have some sort of fear-gauge so the closer you get to enemies, the more tense the music gets) but the trailers really won me over.



His glowing spine shows his health! Genius

---

Err okay that took longer than expected. Guess i'll leave it there for now. Will probably update when i've finished my first character concept. Almost there, time for work :)

Oh yeah, I also want to talk about the bus...

No comments: