Sunday 8 March 2009

Wooooooooo

So we got the voice actor's takes on the robots, and the rest of them and... eh. I don't like them. The black dude's voice is quite cool, but too 'big' sounding for the character that we'd concepted. The white guy's voice... christ, this is the worst thing about it I think. Not only does he sound NOTHING like what we'd imagined, but he's really irritating. I'm not sure whether that'll affect the humour, I don't know if you can laugh at irritating characters or what...

Regardless, we're pressing on. Luckily the guy who created the thing is allowing people to do the second sketch now, so we're doing this instead. It'll be a ton easier to do than the first sketch, but still a lot of work. Omgs we have a lot of work on nowadays. It's a bit ridiculous, we have nothing for weeks (or so it seems) and then it just falls on you. But i'm not really complaining (I am, but whatever) I did ask for more work in my head. Tbh I would rather if the work was more to do with what I'm interested in. Here's a little breakdown.

-Main Robots Project
--Alright so this is pretty interesting, aside from the fact that the voice acting kind of messed things up, we get to make interesting characters. Create them in Maya, which i've wanted to do forever, rig, texture, etc etc etc. I think this'll help us a ton in getting to know Maya and how to actually make finished articles in it. And it gives us a kick up the arse and some motivation to actually do something. I'll also get the chance to paint, too, which I always enjoy, but i'm not sure to what capacity right now. Definitely no time for finished, polished character concepts but there will be time for backgrounds and such. Still a bit up in the air right now though.

-Literature Projects
--...ergh, these are nasty. Very hard work and fairly time consuming, and apart from the fact that they're helping us work towards our dissertation, I don't think they're really teaching me anything that'll really help me in getting a job or whatever. I'm just thankful Andy's cut down on essays up until now to a minimum. It's not exactly how it seems though, I am in fact really interested in a lot of what i've read, what the authors have to say and stuff. I'd love to be able to read and write things in the way that they do, it feels really intellectual (some say pretentious) and right now I feel stupid most of the time reading these things when i'm looking up words every second and re-reading sentences time after time after time. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoy it, but it's just taking me away from what I feel I really need to do i.e. improve my art to a point where I can make a living from it. I don't feel i'm there yet. After all, I won't be writing essays for money when i've graduated.

-Editing Project
--This seems like a bit of fun, might teach us something and I dont' think it'll take me much more than a day of solid work, so I don't mind this one too much... should be interesting seeing the final results. I really appreciate the lenient deadline too. Hmm... speaking of that I think we have a week left lolzors. Maybe 2.

-Compositing Project
--To be honest I haven't looked at this one too much. I'm not sure how much work it'll be, but i'm not really interested in it.

I've been doing some more designs for the characters in the robot thing, (can't upload from home, no scanner) I think we've got them pretty much down, even with the set backs. Tomorrow we'll draw the final designs, turn arounds for modeling and get to work! I can't wait for one to be finished in maya, it's going to be so cool. Even if the voices are shit :P

I wonder what we're letting ourselves in for... how much work is this actually going to involve? Also, what am I going to be able to do myself? Will I be stuck painting the whole time? FIND OUT IN NEXT WEEKS EPISODE!

No comments: