Wednesday 14 May 2008

new haps

Another week, another project. With the new setup (4 teams on 4 projects and mixing and matching) it's a bit strange but we've just finished the ideas phase and it's going okay. When we work in teams like this it's a little difficult fitting everyones ideas and expectations together, but as long as you come to a compromise it's not so bad. I'm a bit of a control freak so it's a little difficult for me. I'd like to be able to do everything myself but obviously I can't, I just have to have faith in the others lol.

I've given myself the hefty task of doing the backgrounds for the student project. This'll definitely keep me busy and surely improve my photoshop skills which is nice. Especially situations like this where you won't always be doing something which you want to be doing. In this case i'm skipping storyboarding for background design and this suits me fine. My only worry is taking forever on these things which is a very likely outcome, but i'm aware of my time restrictions and in one day i've managed to rough out the first background and have started polishing it already, which is probably a record for me. Maybe i'll upload some pictures in a few days.

Apart from the project, for the past week or two i've really been trying to study human anatomy. I've got the basic landmarks on the front of a human down and it's quite satisfying. It's something i've wanted to learn for probably about 2 years now, something which I think is extremely important if I want to improve as an artist, and i'm happy to have started. Up until now it's just seemed a bit daunting but when I was bored the other day I started reading a book by Andrew Loomis that I downloaded a while ago. It's a very good book and inspired me to finally start learning seriously. The book's out of print or something, so it's free and legal to download and distribute, and i've uploaded it incase anyone else would like to have a read. I'd highly reccomend it. Anyway, I think i should be able to keep up this learning and hopefully soon enough i should be able to draw completely accurate people :D Download down there.

ANDREW LOOMIS FIGURE DRAWING PDF

No comments: