Thursday 22 May 2008

updateupdate

k just 'finished' the Rhino BG a few hours ago:



I'm not really happy with how it turned out to be honest. I was really happy with it in the rough stages, and I think it was possibly stronger than it is now at that point. I threw quite a few snazzy textures and crap on the painting, initially to add the grit and dirt to the roads and walls, but I think in the end they were there more to cover up my poor painting than to directly add to the painting itself. And after three completely covers, playing around with photoshop I finally realised that I never had Opacity set to pen pressure... which would have made things a ton easier for me. Stupid. I feel quite worn out right now, so i've allowed myself a break for an hour or two. Can't decide whether to play in photoshop or maya, but i'm doing something for fun rather than for the project. I think i'll start my next (and possibly last? or second to last) painting in the morning. That's the dung beetle one, which is looking quite simple to complete; just a little patch of dirt and a background. Hopefully it'll be as easy as it looks. Andy's been doing a few of the backgrounds since he's animating some of the characters in flash, and while this eases the load for me, it's probably not the best idea for unity of style.

I've been looking at a lot of amazing paintings by digital and traditional artists today and i'm not sure whether they inspire or discourage me. I guess a bit of both, I definitely feel an urge to improve and while i'm not super optimistic at the moment I think i'm on the right tracks right now. Still working hard in class and when I get home I just look up more and more paintings and 3D stuff. Both mediums compliment each other really well too I think. It feels like 3D modeling is a lot more technical than painting, less emphasis on your artistic ability and more your mind for space. Or something like that. So when I'm not feeling particularly creative I can work with the mechanics of the stuff, and vice versa. It's hard to fit everything in but i'm sure that's a good thing, it means I won't be stopping for a while.

Also i'm quite into this blogging thing too, i'm quite a loudmouth really.

p.s. Bugger off Han :P

No comments: